“To be, or not to be, that is the question.”
Why this is one of the most famous literary quotes of all time boggles my mind. If a random person off the street were to be asked if they could name one quote from Hamlet, this most likely would be the quote that comes to mind. Why? I understand that this is the beginning of Hamlet’s famous soliloquy, and its meaning is open to many interpretations, but the majority of the time, the meaning has negative connotation. This quote alone can mean something positive, but if you read the soliloquy as a whole, it’s either about Hamlet contemplating killing himself, or contemplating killing King Claudius. What’s so beautiful about that? It all comes down to some type of unnatural death. If this is seen as beautiful, than society may be as disgusting and twisted as everyone has been saying after all.
Questioning our place on this earth has come across or will come across everyone’s mind at one point. There will also be a point in our lives in which we experience some type of depression, and that’s normal. According to psychology, depression is the “cold” of mental conditions. Consequently, just like the cold, things will get better. I don’t think people remember that. I mean, if you’re already at the bottom, you can go nowhere but up, right?
I was lucky enough to have been brought up in a positive atmosphere, rarely am I sad, and when I am, I get over it quickly. There’s so much to life! Granted, I am still very young and haven’t done anything major I regret, but honestly it’s never too late to change your attitude and perspective on life. If truly believe that if you wish something hard enough, and you do something about it, results will happen, you just have to be patient and wait it out.
However, I understand that people are not like me, and have it worse. Consequently, I get asked all the time how I am able to stay so happy all the time. Honestly, it’s all in one’s mindset. You can’t live a positive life with a negative mind! So I sat down one day and observed the beautiful scenery nature has to offer and here are some things that I came up with that help me get through times of hardship that keep a smile on my face.
1. Make a journal. If you don’t like to write with pen and paper, then just create your own personal blog, for your eyes only. I know on tumblr, you can private your posts so I suggest you do something like that. Each day, write down 3 things you liked, or something you’re thankful for. There has to be something. Did you like that new food dish you tried? Did you like how the sun set that day? Did you like what you wore that day? Did you like the weather? Did you like how your hair looked? The possibilities are endless. You can also write down about your day overall, but the 3 things are really the basis of what you need. When you’re feeling down, you can sit down and reflect on those good times or good things. The feelings associated with those moments will come back, and you will feel more like yourself with each page.
2. Exercise. I know this may be hard to do, but honestly exercise is so good for you- both physically and mentally. I don’t think I have to go into detail about this, there are plenty of blogs and blog posts dedicated to this.
3. Do something you like. Read, go to the beach, go shoot some hoops. It will take your mind off things. In a way, it restarts your brain. For a moment you’ll forget everything and your mood is reset.
4. Spend time with other people or get a pet. The presence of someone else is always heartwarming. People say they would like to be left alone, but in reality, some kind of relationship is always healthy. Even a relationship with a pet is great! Dogs make good companions.
5. Do something productive. Make something. Clean your room. Reorganize the kitchen cabinet. You’ll feel you made an impact, no matter how small, and that will get you to feel good about yourself once again. You’ll feel tired, but accomplished, and that’s alright. Sleep is good for you as well!
These are just some of the many things you can do. This is what I do, and it has been working for me all my life. If you have any ideas, please feel free to share and if you ever need someone to talk to, just email me or comment me, I’ll be sure to get back to you, and if I don’t I apologize sincerely in advanced, I’m not ignoring you, I swear! Anyways I hope you all have a good day/night!